When prompted to login, use your username but instead of your usual account password, use the app password
to get app password
- Go to bitbucket.org website and login
- From your avatar in the bottom left, click Personal settings
- Click App passwords under Access management
- Click Create app password
- Give the app password sufficient rights, and a label related to the application that will use the password
- Don’t forget to save that password
Who are getting here after 1 March 2022.
Beginning March 1, 2022, you will no longer be able to use your Atlassian account password when using Basic authentication with the Bitbucket Cloud REST API or Git over HTTPS.
- Go to: https://bitbucket.org/account/settings/app-passwords/
- Create app password
- Tick necessary permissions for your needs. Account Read and Repositories Read and Write are needed for basic git actions.
- Save the password, you can not view it again!
- Use the generated password to log in. You might need to use your Bitbucket username that you can find here: https://bitbucket.org/account/settings under “Bitbucket profile settings” (saw a post that told specifically to use the username don’t know if it is true).
More info about app passwords: https://support.atlassian.com/bitbucket-cloud/docs/app-passwords/
If any Linux user facing same issue. Please follow the step given below.
- Go to bitbucket.org
- Click on login link
- At the bottom left, click on your avatar Icon(your profile picture).
- Then click personal setting or you can use this url(https://bitbucket.org/account/settings/) directly
- In Access Management section, click on App password link or you can go directly to this link(https://bitbucket.org/account/settings/app-passwords/)
- Click on Create App password button.
- Give the access rights as per your requirement.
- Click on create.
- You get the pop up with a password. Copy that password somewhere in your laptop/pc.(Given password will be difficult to remember).
- Now whenever your are performing a git operation like pull or push and if they asked for password. Instead on using your login password, you need to use above password(one which is generated by app password).